Umami is one of the five basic tastes along with salty, sweet, bitter, and sour. It’s characterized by a mild, lingering flavor and pleasant mouthfeel that is enhanced with aroma. Think: Parmeggiano cheese, mushrooms sautéed in soy, or simply a ripe tomato. This savory recipe features umami-rich anchovy with some garlic to complement the bite of fresh radish.
- 1 bunch mixed radishes
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp capers, coarsely chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped
1. Trim radishes and slice into quarters.
2. In a bowl, mash together anchovy, garlic, and pinch of salt until well combined.
3. Add lemon juice and whisk in olive oil to create sauce.
4. Add radishes to sauce and toss together with capers and fresh parsley. Adjust salt and lemon juice to taste.