When we eat at Edo’s Squid – one of our favorite Richmond restaurants – Squid with Arugula and White Beans is the go to appetizer. Although we don’t know Edo’s secret, this recipe mixes the same elements, playing acidity of lemon juice and balsamic off of spicy arugula and red onion; rounding it all out with earthy beans and the mild ocean flavor of squid.
- garlic – 1 clove, minced
- lemon juice – 2 Tbsp
- lemon zest – 1 tsp
- white balsamic vinegar – 1 Tbsp
- olive oil – 3 Tbsp
- squid – 1 1/2 lbs, rinsed and cut in 1 inch pieces
- arugula – 6 oz
- white beans – 30 oz, rinsed
- red onion – 1/4 c, thinly sliced
- In serving bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, zest and vinegar. Add olive oil and whisk until emulsified.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and add squid. Add beans to serving bowl, as cook squid a few minutes until just opaque. Drain squid in a colander.
- Toss together the squid, arugula and onion slices with beans and dressing. Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.