Umami is one of the five basic tastes along with salty, sweet, bitter, and sour. It’s characterized by a mild, lingering flavor and pleasant mouthfeel that is enhanced with aroma. Think: Parmeggiano cheese, mushrooms sautéed in soy, or simply a ripe tomato. This savory recipe features umami-rich anchovy with some garlic to complement the bite of fresh radish.
- egg fettuccine – 9 oz
- heavy cream – 1/2 c
- butter – 1/2 stick, in chunks
- Parmigiano-Reggiano – 1/3 c, grated
- Add fettuccine to boiling salted water
- While pasta is cooking, place a heavy skillet over medium-low heat and bring butter and cream to a simmer
- When fettuccine is al dente, reserve 1/2 c water and drain pasta
- Add pasta, cheese and 1/4 c reserved water to skillet and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste, add additional pasta water if needed. Serve immediately.
old + new
Pike Place Market, Seattle